THANKFUL MEMORIES!!!

Sunday 26 November 2017

Philippians 1:3
There’s power in remembering what God has done in your life – there’s also gratitude too.


In a world where things seem negative and hopeless, staying positive and constantly remembering the things God has done, no matter how little, gives us life and hope. It is for this reason I am first of all, greatful for another year added unto my life, the people who have loved me through it all, the family that God has blessed me with, the loves that never gave up on me even in my darkest days, the good days, the bad days, the trials, the tribulations, the answered and unanswered prayers, the success, the failures, the laughter, the tears, the list could go on....


In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to share a couple of things/memories that make me smile each time they come to mind 




The most recent would be 3 days ago being the first time we actually celebrated Thanksgiving with stuffed Turkey. I literally remember the look on my mama's face when we began carving it with utmost concentration and seriousness. The memory was Bliss and sweet especially because, we were sharing happily, talking, eating and spending time together.



The next would be my 14th Birthday. My Dad had been posted to a different city for a project but had promised to take me to dinner at the Hilton for my next birthday. That was going to be my first time at the Hilton and it was on my mind the whole year prior to the D-day. Few days before my birthday, my Dad got involved in a minor accident which left him no injuries but damages on the car. Being away from Abuja on an important assignment 2 days before my birthday was heart breaking, not to talk of the car that was damaged and required for a trip back if he had to keep his promise to me. I was sad upon hearing the news and had taken my mind off the treat until he showed up on the D-day with a blue gown for my dinner date with him and the family. This really touched me and left a lasting memory especially because that was love right there. Despite the set back and unexpected events, he still kept his promise by showing up however, which ever way. It was a beautiful evening indeed.

Another Thankful Memory was a childhood one when we had a full house of 5 cousins who came to spend the holiday with us. I remember the night we all sat outside in attempts to count the stars and there was a huge debate on the actual number of stars in the sky. Asides the fun that came with being around my cousin brothers as the only girl, it was a beautiful memory because though we were ignorant, we saw things differently.. We saw things with the eyes of a child. What adults saw as impossible, we saw as possible, we saw fun in everything we did and every situation we found ourselves in.

A quite recent one was at the hospital. It was again my birthday and I decided to visit the hospital. Having gone round and pleaded to get into the ICU, I saw these beautiful Tripplets incubated, and immediately, my heart went out to them. I enquired about their case and asked to meet their mum regarding some immediate important requirements which I opted to take care of. Upon seeing and conversing with the mum who was in a different ward undergoing recovery, I learned that she bore the same name as me. It was such a beautiful coincidence that the mother to the kids whom my heart went out to, was a namesake and a lady who at that particular day and point in time needed a gesture. That very day, she said a prayer for me and in my heart, I strongly believed that the meeting/encounter was a Divine coincidence. I was thankful to have met them.

I am thankful for the day February 7th 2016. On this day my closest friend and I got involved in an accident which when assessed with the human eye, should have been critical but God came through for us in the most miraculous and amazing way.

A cute memory was when I was warmly welcomed with a song by the kids at the orphanage home where I usually visited and taught bible stories and songs during my NYSC days. I vividly remember this 8 year old boy Promise, whom they teased a lot and called Pastor. After they had sang upon my arrival, Promise asked that I kneel down so he could pray for me. I really found that cute and touching and I took his prayers really seriously even though I struggled to pick out his words. What mattered to me was the heart of this child and the innocence and the good will he had for me. I believed God heard his heart and prayers for me.

Another cute memory was when I was ill a few years back. My mum took me to her bed (her normal tradition for when her kids are ill). On this faithful night, I had backed her facing the wall to sleep when I suddenly felt like stretching. As I stretched and turned around towards her, I saw a smile on her face whilst she was still asleep. This was really cute to see and I wished that day that I would always make her smile.

I remember the Family trip to Dubai on one of those vacations/ Holliday's. That was actually our first time travelling out of Nigeria and I remember my Dad who kept laughing at all the blunders of that trip. The one that stuck the most was the struggle to step on the escalators. This was really a hilarious experience but it was beautiful that we all learned how to finally use the escalators as a family.

The last but definitely not the least thankful memory was when I had finished my first degree in the university, returned to Nigeria and was hoping to go back for my masters. I remember praying to God that my wish to return back for a Masters be granted. I remember having faced unexpected life responsibilities and I really and desperately wanted to elope back to England, especially because, I wasn't ready for those responsibilities. Somehow, things didn't quite work out the way I wanted and I was left with no choice than to face them. Today, I am thankful for that wish that never came through, I am thankful for the unanswered prayer because if I hadn't faced what was up against me, I probably wouldn't be who I am today. A lot of people say to me "Soph, you are so strong" but I dont believe this would have been possible if I didn't face my fears to conquer. I have learned a lot over the years and I am still learning. I am still learning to be strong, I am still learning to trust God even when situations seem hopeless, I am learning to lean not on my  own assessment or understanding of things but to seek God's wisdom in all things. I am learning not to worry about the things I can't change, I am learning to embrace growth, change and the distress that come with them, I am learning that my relationship with God is the foundation for all other relationships, I am learning that true happiness begins with and in you, I am learning that there is more to life outside my comfort zone. Its all about growth for me this year and I am thankful for the years ahead and the lessons ahead.

What are your thankful memories?


2 comments :

  1. I thank God he brought you to my part at this time so that I'll learn some valuable lessons from you. I thank God for giving you the strength to do his job and I pray he gives you the ability to touch more lives. God bless you abundantly Sofi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God for your life Soph..you are an amazing person. A thankful memory for me was when I had traveled to bayelsa with my aunt who drooped me off at her apartment to head back to abuja but had forgotten to give me the key to the house and i did not have a phone to reach her. Luckily she came back after 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs