MY FAVORITE CHARITY/EVENT!!!!

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Hey guys! 

I hope you all are having a good week? Last month was pretty busy and I was hoping that October would be a lot calmer, but of course, it’s an even busier month for me, loads of things to do.  I am not complaining but I guess I'm not used to having such a full calendar. I feel like I am constantly on the go.

Today, I thought I would share a little inspiration gotten from a charity event I attended called SCAF (Sickle Cell Aid Foundation).


A few weeks ago, my friends and I attended a charity event which held its annual fundraising dinner with the theme ‘’Break the Sickle Circle’’. The event was held at the Chelsea Hotel, Central Area Abuja. It was a black tie /dressy event with red carpet hosted by Wazobia Fm Big Mo and and Lydia Guna. A number of artists, including Korede Bello and Dija from Mavin records, Jon Ogah and white Nigerian performed. It was MC’d by the famous hilarious comedian ‘Its your girl again, Chigurl’ (you don’t wanna be a west (waste)). There was a Charity Auction and loads of planned activities to raise funds for sickle cell disease.



At the event, a speech was made by Nkechi Azinge, the founder of Sickle Cell Aid Foundation (SCAF), a lawyer by profession with an interest in corporate governance and financial regulation. Nkechi shared a bit of her story and that of her sisters while growing up. She grew up surrounded by close friends and family members plagued with SCD (Sickle Cell Disorder) and as a result of experiencing their daily struggles and battles, she was propelled to start the Sickle Cell Aid Foundation circle located in Abuja, aimed at creating awareness and preventing the increase of sickle cell cases.

1924334_682435981838618_6696759631381375574_n

I was particularly touched and inspired by this young lady because I could really relate with her story and that of her sister's. I have grown up with and around some friends diagnosed with this disorder and I have lived part of my life watching friends go through series of crises. I have never been so sad seeing them go through so much pain. Growing up, my family and I lived next to a beautiful family blessed with two beautiful boys, each diagnosed with this disorder. The oldest as at then, who happened to be my senior by 5 years, constantly experienced severe crisis in his chest, back and his legs. There were times we would go spend time at the hospital with him, watching him go through routine medications, times I heard him lamenting and his parents would always say ‘you can do whatever you want to do and be whoever you want to be’. The younger brother also experienced a lesser part of the crisis. He often had his hands swell with mild pains. I dint quite understand the reason behind their illness then as I was young and had no knowledge of the sickle cell disorder. But at that age, I was really worried about my friends and I always begged them saying ‘please don’t die, we would have no friends to play police and thief with’. Each time they recovered and began playing,  I always tried touching and playing with them gently as I kept panicking that they may trip off and fall and it may trigger another crisis.

Getting to the university, I also had a few friends with this disorder, one of which I lived with. There were nights I sobbed watching my friend in so much pain, there were times I was scared out of my mind for the level of pain she felt and the things she said while being in so much pain. There were also days I had to make emergency calls at about 4.30am, days I had to spend time sitting by the edge of the hospital bed watching series of blood transfusions and other routine medications.

I may not know the pain people with this disorder go through but I feel the pain from theirs. I have experienced a few crisis and it is one that can literally put you to tears especially if those involved are your friends or loved ones. 

The SCAF wasn’t just a dinner dressy event to me. It was a source of inspiration to me. It was an avenue, an opportunity to witness the faces and hear the stories of inspiring people who share their personal pains and challenges arising from this disorder, and in the midst of their sufferings and emotional pain, they still find hope and inspiration. It basically taught me that having the disorder might be an unfortunate situation, but it certainly does not define who you are. I remember talking with my childhood friend (the older son), and he was telling me how life right now seems great, how he’s healthy, working and loving his job, just bought a house and is looking to get married soon. See!, his parents were right after all.

You can do anything and be anything you want as long as you keep a strong and happy attitude, live right, pray often and stay healthy. You aren’t different form everyone else, Yes! You may have sickle cell, but sickle cell doesn’t have you. Let this be an inspiration to everyone going through this sickle cell circle that you can do anything and you have the power over sickle cell.  I encourage everyone to find out all they can about the disorder. The more knowledge you have about the disorder, the easier it becomes in handling it and together, we can all break the sickle cell circle.

Do you have any favourite charity or event? Please feel free to share.  



1 comment :

  1. Nice one Soph.. this is really touching..

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs