WORKING:THE WALK IN HEELS..

Monday 8 December 2014

Hey guys

I hope you all had a nice weekend? I was practically home alone for the most of mine. Even worse, in a very quiet neighborhood as everyone decided ABJ wasn't the place for Christmas. Anyways, I liked the quietness. At least, I got occupied with quite a lot of indoor activities plus I also had a lot of rest which I really needed, only that it got a bit scary at night especially when my neighbor's dogs couldn't stop barking at God knows what. Sadly, I guess just a few people would be in town for Christmas. which I think is still better than none.

So a friend of mine suggested that I do a post on my learning to walk in heels after dropping by my work place to pick me up for lunch and finding me walking around majestically in heels according to her. Here it is Tamara lol.  

I never really mastered the art of walking in heels especially since my first terrible fall at a younger age after a beauty par-gent. Since then, I've lacked confidence in them. On several occasions, I was required to wear heels but I always found excuses against wearing them. Even when I attempt wearing them, they never last long on my feet as I get so conscious and nervous each time I have to walk past a group of people or walk long distances. There were times I also looked into my closet and despaired at the unused racks of gorgeous, beautiful yet, lonely heels and wished for the days I could confidently and comfortably rock my heels. Well, I guess those days are here.

I have worn a few heels a couple of times to different events and occasions but I have never had them on for so long. Most times, I would wear them just to make an entrance after which, I change to my flats. But getting into the work force and a more professional field, left me no choice than to learn to walk in them heels as my job requires that of me most of the time. I started off on a low kitten type heel (2-3 inch) not a towering four or five inch heel with a deadly platform. Just like every other thing, if you really want to be a pro at something, you must practice (not saying I am a pro yet though). So, I began practicing gradually in higher heels at ideal places. Sometimes, just walking around the house, on a soft carpet, flat leveled floors, while cooking, doing my makeup, sweeping, walking up and down the stairs just so I could get used to them.

I then tried mastering the art of walking from heel-to-toe as opposed to toe-to-heal. This allowed me to tell the difference between walking light and walking clunky. The aim was to stride gracefully rather than clomping along like a horse (which happens a lot especially in chunkier heels). After that, I also practiced walking in a straight line, placing one foot in front of the other which actually creates a very flattering and elegant silhouette and shows off ones curves as their hips sway (wink wink*). I practiced this by using the tiles in the house and sometimes, the side walk edge.

Once I mastered the first two steps, I figured the next would be to perfect my posture. Good posture while walking in heels is very essential. Slouching, hunching over, sticking your behind or leaning forward affects the way you walk and looks anything but classy. So I practiced how to stand up straight while walking, hold my head high while looking forward and taking my shoulders back.
After that, I began working on my pace. I learnt  that: the higher the heel, the shorter the stride. So as I kept increasing my heel heights, I kept increasing my steps and by so doing, I was able to avoid accidents even when I lost my footing at some point. Mastering my walk on uneven surfaces was also included in my practice. I practiced walking on bumpy surfaces and rocky grounds around the house just in case I find myself in such places in future.

Finally, I got the right fit. Just because a shoe comes in your size doesn't mean it would fit your foot properly. I tried on many different pairs as I have a wide feet and was in search of a heel that fits comfortably, then made sure there was a bit of room in them so that it doesn't feel too tight and at the same time, not loose and I guess I was good to go.







What do you think?

2 comments :

  1. nice one soph!!! i like!!.its Fortune :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. now you talking sophie lol..you still have to do the other one though...;)

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs