FROM A COOKIE TO A COOKIE JAR: 17 QUESTIONS WITH CHEF EROS!!!!

Tuesday 30 June 2015


Hey guys,

How was your weekend and how's the new week going? Mine was pretty busy and occupied with quite a lot of activities, hence, my seemingly long quietude. July is almost here and I'm so looking forward to it for a number of good reasons..but as much as I'd love to state them, I'd say, lets talk food today shall we? :D

I don't know about you fam but I love food. Not just any food, good food. I love everything involved with it. From thinking it, to dreaming it, to shopping it, to cooking it (even though I don't cook so much), to eating it,...and of cos, we know the next best thing after eating food, is talking about it...and there's no better way to do so than to talk with the boss himself.

With regards to the 15 for 15 monthly challenge, we have the eminent Nigeria's finest food stylist, Tolu Erogbogbo, aka, Chef Eros in the house today.


Tolu Erogbogbo, owner of cookie jar Lekki Lagos, Born to parents from Ikorodu and Benin, a graduate of international Business Management from the University of Wolverhamton in the UK, in this exclusive interview with my humble self, expresses his views and passion for cooking. Enjoy!



1) Hi Chef Eros, can you please tell us about your self?

I’m Chef Eros, Eros is the god of love and my love is food. I’m a gourmet chef, pastry chef, and culinary artist. I love cooking outside the box, creating new flavor profiles and plating food. I enjoy making new dishes and trying out new things. I’m a man of passion and love to inspire people to live their dreams and do what they are passionate about.

2) What was the inspiration behind Chef Eros?

The inspiration was derived from the satisfaction gained after a culinary experience shared by lovers of fine food and the sweeter things of life!

3) How about Cookie Jar, what led to its birth?

Funny enough, it all started during the ‘Occupy Nigeria’ march. I was at home trying not to be idle, business had come to a halt and I was getting a bit frustrated. I knew the night before, I had dreamt of baking cookies. My mum called me and I registered my frustration at being confined to my house during the period. She laughed and suggested I used my time to bake her those cookies I said I had dreamt of baking. I grabbed a book, went into the kitchen and little did I know that one cookie was going to turn into the phenomenon that is CookieJar.
I do thank God, my mum and maybe ‘Occupy Nigeria’.


4) Wow!..isn't that inspiring? From a cookie to a cookie jar..#intresting.
If you weren't cooking and baking though, what would you do for a living?


Note sure really, maybe singing, because I have a really good voice. But I’m a man of passion, I can’t imagine myself doing something else than what I love. If I wasn’t cooking or baking I don’t think I’d neither be as happy as I am now nor fulfilled as I am now.

5) What is the longest you've ever worked without a break in the kitchen or bakery?

I work really long and almost endless hours with my team. We are that dedicated and passionate. I think the longest I did was a 96 hour plus shift. It was a crazy build up to a busy weekend. We had a lot of cakes to bake and supply and more than 5 catering events in 2 days to prep for. I don’t know how we managed to pull through successfully but I thank God. As expected my team and I were really tired afterwards.

6) Most embarrassing cooking/baking moment?

Not sure really. I mean I have had some embarrassing incidents but to say one is more embarrassing than the other is kind of hard because I aim for perfection. So to me a mistake is a mistake no matter how little. In my industry where one little mistake can make you lose a customer and customers deserve to get their money’s worth or more, no one pays to get a mistake.


7) Best cooking/baking moment?

There are so many to mention, to be honest. I love when I make a new dish or I create a new cake flavor. Love plating my food and decorating my cakes, cupcakes or dessert. One moment to remember, would be the vote thanks from a private dinner held at the Miele kitchen in VI where I am the brand Ambassador.

8) If you could dress any way you want, what would you wear in the kitchen?

Oh I love wearing my chef uniform and trade mark native trousers. I wish I could wear my danshiki to work everyday but it has its limitations.

9) Do you wait to eat dinner until your evening customers are all fed?

To be honest I sometimes go an entire day having ate just one meal. I can be so busy and I don’t stop to eat or drink till I’m done with my work. I guess you can say my passion feeds me and keeps me going.

10) top 3 guilty pleasures?

Hmmm, I’m a sucker for dodo, I really can’t resist it. Like seriously I don’t play with it at all. The other two would have to be a really good warm carrot cake served with ice cream and finally cookies dipped in Belgian milk chocolate ganache.

11) person you'd most like to cook for?

Mohammed Buhari and Barrack Obama... Preferably on the same table so I can be challenged to fuse both cultures!

Nice one!!! lool..they'll definitely make a good pair..

12) what's your opinion about the Nigerian mentality/idealiogy that 'women are made for the kitchen' and men are not?

It’s quite sexist and wrong to say that really. I’m not going to say men are better cooks. I feel its just down to the individual really. We are in the 21st century where women are playing roles played by men alone in the past and vice versa. I believe its all about the individuals these days not about the gender anymore.


13) Being that you are known to be Nigeria's finest food stylist, how do you handle the numerous attention from women?

It hasn't been easy to be honest. Its not everyday a lady meets a guy who's handsome and can cook so well. I just try to stay decent and concentrate on my work. I do realize that if it wasn't for mainly God and how good I am at what I do, I'd probably not have the attention I get today.

14) what are the challenges you've faced while trying to achieve your dreams of having cookie jar on the high streets in cities around?

Well when it comes to high street retail or retail itself, its all about location, location and location. Finding the right place to set up a shop isn't easy. It needs to first be prime and then has to be at a good price so you're not just working for the landlord or landlady. Then there's the hassle of renovation and dealing with the Nigerian factor. Contractors who'll promise to deliver in 2 days but don't even deliver in a week and so on.
Honestly, a lot of people see the glory which is the finished work but very few get to know the story.

15) what would you say is your best inherited asset?

Wow! Maybe its my face. I've had a lot of compliments about it and the fact that's its camera ready 24/7. Trust me I hear that from almost every photographer, producer and director I've worked with.


16) A description of your ideal woman and would you mind marrying one who cannot cook?

I'd like a lady with some meat. When I say 'meat' I mean healthy looking. She's got to be smart, ambitious, God fearing, humble and polite. I really don't mind so much if she knows how to cook or not. I can always teach her and we can always have fun in the kitchen.


17) So far, how would you Say Cookie jar has turned out and What dreams do you have for it in the near future?

I thank God for Cookie Jar’s success so far. Its bigger than what I expected. We have a store on 20 admiralty way, Lekki phase 1. We have a head office at 9 Otunba Adedoyin Ogunbe also in Lekki phase 1 too. Demand for our products like Cupcakes, cakes, confectioneries, macaroons and so on have been really high. Our popularity has grown tremendously. To be honest its all good but not great. Cookie jar’s present status is not upto 10% of what I plan for it to be. I don’t feel we have even gotten to the next level. Some might be surprised and confused with what I’m saying. I’m saying this in comparison to what my dream for Cookiejar is. I’m thinking of a company that’s going to be a global organization. I’m dreaming of a starbucks/Cadbury but Nigerian owned. A company that will be a pride to all Nigerians. A company that will and can compete with already existing global brands and exist beyond my time. I don’t just want to be one to have just created and ran a company, I want CookieJar to be a legacy.

Thank you very much Chef Eros, Indeed it was nice having you on board today and on behalf of sophsinspirations.blogspot.com, we wish you the very best on fulfilling your dreams of making Cookie jar a legacy. 

Until next time guys,

Enjoy the rest of your week.

2 comments :

  1. Very nice nd very interesting...Wishing u a happy new month..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mehn this challenge is real o. How many have I written sef?

    I agree with you Duru, smart people are making money off their passion these days. Let's monetize our skills too o. We cannot be great writers for free. Some cool cash to be made *shines teeth*

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs