INSPIRATIONS FROM THE BOX OF CLOTHES!!!

Tuesday 16 June 2015



The topic was titled "discovering and utilizing your potential". I had never given a sermon before so I was a bit skeptical when I was asked by one of my favorite teachers from high school, who also happens to be a fellow blog reader, to give the sermon to the youths the following Sunday. I was particularly reluctant especially because I felt unworthy of the task and most importantly, lacked the inspiration I needed to deliver the sermon.



On the eve before the Sermon, I brought down my box of clothes to try on some new

clothes like I always do for different occasions and then, I found the right inspiration I needed for my speech. Let me tell you how.


I have some beautiful outfits I’ve bought on few occasions. Lovely dresses, red carpet ready, dinner party ready, classy chic ready, posh wedding ready, although I’m not so much of a social human whose social light bulb glows so bright, I still bought lovely party/outing dresses, not knowing where to wear them to, but all the same, hoping I could add value to the beauty of the dresses on special occasions some day. 

Each time there was a wedding or an occasion, I would bring them out and try them on and look in the mirror thinking how pretty they look on me and then I tell myself, “I can’t waste this outfit for this wedding” or “why should I wear this really beautiful dress to church, it should shine at a big occasion” and it goes right back into the box.

Now it so happens that I'm not the only one with this mentality. My mum also shares that with me and I'm sure a couple of other people too. But in my mum's case, its pretty sad because most times, she ends up not wearing some of those 'lovely' dresses due to her frequent increase and decrease in size living me prone to the justification of them, being her dearest next of kin.

lesson learned?

Rock it while you can. 

This applies to our potentials/gifts/talents. We Save them for the special occasions. We don’t think its good enough for any of the occasions when we are given an opportunity to show the world just what special trait lies in us forgetting that the world could be just one person, your church or your family. It doesn’t matter. Sometimes we look around at our friends and think how blessed they are because they've got all these talents of dancing singing and even acting so well. Then we’re quick to condemn ourselves, and move further down in our safe box thinking what we have can’t face the world.



What are you hiding in the safe box of your life? What have you locked up? The fact that you love to cook, or you sing really well in your room? Or how well you dance behind closed doors?  I have learnt that there’ll never be a right time to invest your one talent. Put it out there and sing, even if no one hears you… sing even if only one person applauds you. Someday, the Master is going to ride in and ask you… 'what did you do with that special dress I gave you? What will you say? Will you tell him, there just never seemed to be a right time or special occasion to display it, with all that talent He gave the others, so you kept it in your safe box? Like the man with the one talent in the bible?


NOW is the special occasion to rock those dresses. The time to shine is now! Look beautiful for church, shine bright for that wedding, even if the guest consist of mostly old people from the village, Shine even to an audience of one, shine at every chance you get. Shine to the grocery store, shine to work, shine when you head out for ice cream, every moment is a special occasion worth shinning for. You never know who might be watching *wink*. Dont hide up those beautiful dresses waiting for the right time and eventually grow out of them. Dont hide up that beautiful gift and eventually take it to the grave. Its time to discover and utilize those potentials or end up contributing to the wealth of the grave. Like my favorite preacher, late Myles Munroe once said "the richest place on earth remains the grave yard because burried there, are songs that were never sang, books that were never written, words that were never said, ideas that were never shared", and in this context, dresses that were never worn.

Dont hide your treasures within you that you end up missing out on the blessings that come with them.


Rock it while you can!

Enjoy the rest of your week.



5 comments :

  1. Really Really great post,there's truly never a right time,just do it anyways

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soph..your blog makes a lot of sense. Amazing post hun..I always look forward to reading from you. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so splendid..its nice to know inspirations can come from anywhere. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww that is so sweet..I can only imagine how beautifully she dances. I guess we all learn everyday. I'm also glad that you encourage her..thats a wise thing to do. I'm sure u do have amazing gifts urself..talk about ur writing #EXCELLENT. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dance like no one is watching... You know yeah Ribena... (yeah Yeah.. I know, it wasnt a Typo..**Wears Mr. Nigeria smile)... I admire the way you write.. Its so Apt and easy to relate to.. So full of life.. and so ghen ghenLY full of wisdom.. Biko can my Geh friend in 5 months 28 days time be like you when she grows up?! **Winks...

    That being said Bubba.. life is ironical.. Often times yeah.. We just keep pushing stuff up until tomorrow.. We go.. I will love when i am 20, I will make love when i am 27, i will call her when i get home.. I will tell my family i love them to my bones on my way to the UK in October, i will Tell that child I love her Tomorrow.. I will be happy ONLY when this and that happens.. But the truth is the next minute is unsure,.. and the only certified time that we have is now.. This very moment.. So life is teaching me to Live in the now and "Dance like no one is watching".. Cause pushing up what we can do Today till tomorrow is a fools game filled with uncertainty... All in all Bubba.. I think its better to Live life to its fullest now.. To kick of our shoes and be happy.. Fall in and outta love.. Inspire and be inspired... and to live life with passion.. Cause I dont think that when we are dead yeah, there will be any worse kind of Regret than the regret that we just DIED AN UNLIVED LIFE... and the crowd goes... Yyyyeeaaah mehn! Cheers Bubba...

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs