LESSONS FROM A TRIP #2!!!

Sunday 3 July 2016

Hey guys,

Its another beautiful Sunday and I hope you had a lovely and well rested weekend like I did.

Two weeks ago, I shared the first lesson gathered from a trip made by a friend to a distant village some weeks back, and I promised I was going to share subsequent ones as time goes on. If you haven't read the first one, it'll be nice to check it out here . There are three main lessons from the trip and I'd be sharing the short second one with you today. I hope you enjoy.

LESSON 2: YOU ARE POOR WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO GIVE.


Rich and poor is what I am faced with everyday in Nigeria. It hits me as I look outside in the morning and see people rummaging through the bin.

I feel so sad when I see children with dirty clothes and no shoes come up to ask me for money.

Or when I meet a lady with TB lying in agony on the road to work.

Or when children I know sleep on the floor as there is no space on the single mattress

Or when I get ushered into a private waiting room in the hospital because I can pay, yet on the other side, is a waiting room crowded with people who cannot.

So many situations which actually remind me that I am rich. That life is unfair.

Have you ever learnt a lesson from kids?

I've learnt so much from kids in d past years, and day by day, I keep learning.

I remember a question being asked to a 6 year old boy at my church the other day. The question was simple " What does it mean to be poor"? The boy replied saying "Being poor is when you dont have anything to give".

Everyone can give a smile, a hug, a word of encouragement.

Those were profound insights from a 6 year old. I was indeed touched.

Being rich is not simply about having more things and money. Being rich is seen in the richness of relationships and togetherness in families and societies.

Being rich is in the richness of the faith I see in people who materially have nothing, yet, daily wake up and pray to God whom they trust to provide their needs.

Being rich is the gratitude, love and encouragement we give to our friends who are down and depressed.

Being rich is in the little act of kindness we share and pass on to even those who do not deserve it.

Richness is in the smile this little boy gives even when it seems as tho, there is no reason to smile.


This week, I want to remember that being rich is not simply about material things or having a lot of money. Being rich is about having something to give.

How will I share my wealth this week? How will you share your wealth this week? Give your time, give your love, give hope, give kindness, share a prayer, give a smile.

Have a blessed and Rich week ahead:)




1 comment :

  1. Sophie, this is true... I agree that we need to remember that being rich has nothing to do with money.... that little boy is so right... we still have lots to give that doesn't include money xox

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs