REVIEW: A MONTH WITHOUT COFFEE!!

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Hey guys

How has your week been so far? I hope you all enjoyed your valentine's day? mine was pretty full of surprises. I received a bouquet, some Ankara's, four boxes of chocolate and a perfume. All thanks to Mrs Hadiza my favorite client, James and my hot chocolate.  I went out bowling, after which, I had dinner with some friends. How did you spend yours? I'd love to know in the comment box below. 

Remember my 2015 monthly challenge? Well, for my first "month of Living Without", I gave up coffee. Now that was quite tough for me at first, as I was faced with having to make and serve coffee to clients but not to taste. I was tempted severally, but with time, it was pretty easy to overcome. All I had to do was tell some people about it and find a great replacement habit that I actually did enjoy. So, Instead of focusing on sacrificing the coffee, I focused on drinking a lovely cup of tea each morning. I discovered three types of tea I liked during my "no coffee days"

Noni tea


Kisubi tea


Green tea



My best was green tea. I usually had it without milk but honey and it usually did taste like coffee to me. I was grateful to be able to drink such good tea, and so the coffee wasn't even much of a concern.

So my first month of Living Without wasn't that difficult, though I did learn a few things:

I really thought I would have had a harder time making and offering coffee to clients whilst not having any to myself, which was so for the first two/three days but later got so easy. I guess I had focused more on the fact that I was trying to sacrifice coffee for the month rather than find something else to occupy my mind. It wasn't difficult at all (after the first two days)

The only time I had a little urge was when my colleague had made one for herself and offered to make me one as well. But the urge wasn't so strong  

The stronger urge came when we had gathered together for a meeting and cookies were served alongside coffee. I had it right in my face and I just couldn't take those cookies without sipping something at least. I eventually resisted after a tough battle between my mind and my throat, drank some water from the dispenser across the room and I was good to go.

What I have learnt from this is that: we actually anticipate more suffering than there would be when we have to give up something we love so much or make a switch/change from a certain habitual lifestyle to another. It happens to me a lot. Most times, in the past, I loved to do things routinely, always scared of changing my routines or trying something new, always scared to step out of my comfort zone and all sorts. But this basically teaches us that anything is possible as long as you make up your mind and put in some effort.

Having a better replacement habit/routine makes it much, more easier. When you focus on the sacrifice, you subject your self to suffering mentally. But when you focus on the good side/good thing you’re getting instead, it’s wonderful.

Urges are only temporary. They come for some time and then fade away after a short time. But it all depends on you and your thoughts. If you get an urge, its up to you to find something to distract your self or dwell on the thought. Which ever one you decide to do, determines if you would succumb or overcome.

Lastly, speaking to a few people about your intention to abstain from a certain urge, habit or lifestyle can really help you overcome. Having told a few colleagues helped keep me in check. Though some of them intentionally tried tempting me as they knew how much I liked taking coffee in the mornings.

In a nutshell, giving up coffee for a month wasn't so hard at all especially because I found some tea replacements. Most times in life, when we think we can't do certain things or do without them, we find out that those are only excuses we give ourselves from stepping out of our zones and most times when we step out, we find out new things about ourselves, things we never knew existed within us, things we thought we could never do. I wouldn't have discovered those tea flavors if I hadn't abstained or searched for a replacement or would I?

The question is: would I continue with coffee or nah? I think I love the idea of tea in the mornings. Though, sometimes, I might just take a cup or two of coffee a week.

The next on the list of "a month without" would be junks. This would definitely be a lot harder but you never can tell. Let's see how it goes.

Enjoy the rest of your week. :)


1 comment :

  1. Omo! ms Sophie A. only you enjoyed all those many many things on 'F'alentines day?!!!! Chei! I ssoooo wanna be like you when I grow up mbok... can i?! Say yes.. Say yes.. Please say yes..:) Oossshheey Turn up!! Turn up Ladies and Gentlemen... Do you guys see how smart our ghen ghen Sophie is?! You See how she converted COFFEE into a lesson?! **Wears Mr. Nigeria smile... Well thats what I am talking about Ladies and gentlemen... Wisdom served with life.. *Deep sigh.. Bubba, to this confused man, life is simple.. and in my 23 years 3 months 8 days 8 hours and 13 minutes of existence yeah, i am learning that.. NO! Life has taught me that it is only what we focus on that grows.. be it urges, or cravings, or people (lovers or friends) or thoughts (positive or Negative).. As long as we focus energy and strength on them, they grow by default, leaving us in a perfect or not so perfect state.. So by all means your advice above is valid as to overcoming them, and it is apt.

    What i do most times when i feel strong urges or cravings, I grab the remote control, and change the station in my head, thereby letting the urges slide like water on a rock. I just do something else.. I guess thats the most productive off them all, as out of shame yeah, I cant tell my friends and colleagues of all my urges nah, can I?! **covers face.

    This was a fun read Bubba... I would like to state however that some battles are best left unfought, so if your urge or craving makes you happy (be the cravings a person, a feeling, an action, or a thing) then please by all means indulge, cause in all sincerity yeah, as long as it doesnt kill you but makes you ahppier. then maybe its good for you.. i have this beautiful friend called Ribena, (**Whispers although i am still trying to get into her heart though **Winks) she teaches me that depriving myself of something or someone that makes me happy is me living in self deceit, and that way not living at all. Cheers Bubba.. Again this was such a ghen ghen read.. and the crowd goes.. yyyeeeaaahh mehn! xx :)

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs