WHEN I WORKED AT A CARE HOME!!!

Sunday 8 February 2015

Morning guys,

I hope you all had a chilled weekend. I was opportune to spend some time with my neighbor's grandparents yesterday and it sorta reminded me of my volunteering days in a care home at Nottingham.


I still remember the first day I got there and the thoughts that ran through my mind. "Life is such a circle; you start off as a baby and then end up as a baby" people moving about in wheel chairs, drawing and coloring, singing to themselves, getting fed, washed and dressed, wearing pampers and all other baby activities. My initial intention to become a volunteer at the care home was mainly for CV purposes but on getting there, it turned out there was more than just getting a recommendation and a certificate. There were Experiences to be gained and lessons to be learnt.


Birthday celebration.


I usually went to the care home twice or trice a week depending on how tight my school schedule was. I would normally go there on wednesdays, fridays and saturdays. Most times, I would serve them their meals, feed them, take them out on a stroll, give them a change of clothes, take them shopping on weekends, clean out their closets, play Dominos with them or just have a long talk with them. In the midst of all my doings, I developed a connection with them. I learnt their names, knew their rooms, knew who liked sugar and who dint, knew who liked spicy and who dint, knew their backgrounds and most importantly, knew their adult hood tales and experiences. Rob was my favorite followed by Barbara. 


Rob was a very active and smart man even at his old age. He was a chock full of advice. After all, he had quite an incredible life. He had been married for over 60 years and was blessed with 3 beautiful children, whose pictures he always had on his Tv in his room. He loved music and sports and also loved playing Dominos with me. One thing he said to me was this: Age is not just a number, it's a badge of all my life experiences,". He shared some of his life experiences with me and taught me some lessons:

Everyone has too many clothes. Wear what you have and quit buying more.

Education is important, but not necessary. Life can be an education in itself.

Find something comical in every single situation.

Don't ever be afraid to be your true self.

Your family is the most precious thing you will ever have in life.

Drink milk every day. Its the best supplement.

Never be too good to start at the bottom.

Having a "not so good" job is better than having no job at all.

Love is not always easy; sometimes you have to work at it.

Don't spend more money than you make.

Exercise every single day, even when you don't feel like it.

Life is a gift that you must unwrap. It's up to you to determine if what's inside will lead you to happiness or dismay.

Barbara on the other hand, was an Adorable and Amazing woman. She was married for several years to Bob who was also at the care home until he passed away (rest on Bob). 



I still remember when the news of his death was broken to her. " Hey Barbara, my name is Razah. I am so sorry, we just lost Bob. Accept my condolence". We just lost Bob? That's not true! *cries out loud* he was just here some minutes ago! why did he have to live me all by myself? *cries out louder* and then after some minutes, she goes "who are you? ". She was suffering from some amnesia and was struggling with remembrance. I felt sad that no matter how many times I came to talk with her or play with her, she would never remember my name. But the beauty about Barbara to me was that, the brain surgery that erased part of her memory, did not touch her soul.
Barbara loved God. The one thing she never stopped saying was "God saved me". And a story that never left her memory was that of her brain surgery and how God saved her.

She taught me that the only love that never fades is that of God. Men will love you, women will love you but the difference between God's love and that of man is that it is everlasting and sure. It is of the soul and not just the brain and the heart. Always seek God's love first for every other love is transient.

Looking back at my care giving experience, I can say I felt a sense of accomplishment and growing independence of being able to take care of the elderly ones. I felt a sense of belonging to the old and learned to appreciate the present. Lastly, and most importantly, I was able to take care of someone I cared about and show my compassion where it mattered the most.

6 comments :

  1. Love makes the world go round. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those quotes!they are inspiring.

    Nice blog

    Bolateethole.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Sophie toh Sure.. and the crowd goes.... Ooooossssheeey! thats our Sophie looking spicy and gbo no feli feli at the same time.. **Wears cheeky smile.. I likey! Wait Did you ask if we had a chilled weekend?! Really?! how?! No oh Bubba! Far from that.. We had a "Boiling" weekend oh.. This Lagos sun is not smiling, and caterers no longer need gas cookers sef.. They just put the rice and all the mede mede into a pot and drop under the sun.. and Bam! 45 minutes later Chao is ready :D... Jellof 'SUN' rice is served.. Turn up Turn up Ladies and gentlemen.. Thats our Sophie 'mother hen' looking licking.. heheheh I love love love and trip for the second picture.. You look so happy and small in it **shines teeth... In other news this was such a noteworthy thing you did.. I mean giving back to the universe for free is always a beautiful thing and what better way to do so than take care of the aged... And to that i say Oooosssshhhey! You know its amazing Bubba.. How we come to this life so weak and frail, then we grow so strong and full of energy that we can do anything and i mean ANYTHING.. I mean fall in love at Random, purseue women like they are going extinct, Learn calculus and Biology so easily, Run and Trek from V.I to Festac like I do **Shines teeth... But on the long run, and at the very end, we become frail again just as we came... Mehn! now thats amazing.. GOD be praised...

    Now this line touched me... "pictures he always had on his Tv in his room" and it made me value my Dad more... You know to our parents baby mi, no matter how old we grow yeah, we will forever be that Baby in their eyes.. **Wears Mr. Nigeria smile

    Now these quotes were very spot on.. But these few drilled into my 23 years 2 months 30 days old confused head like nail caressed by hammer...

    1. Never be too good to start at the bottom: Abi oh! Bubba.. Tell them... the best dont start at the top... Tell them oh! tell them we are coming insha allah.. **Shines teeth..

    2. Love is not always easy; sometimes you have to work at it: Mehhhnnn SI-Readers this one tire me oh.. I mean if two young people like them selves, then why dont they just kick of their shoes and have madt fun.. **Shines teeth.. Okay lemme gist y'all, I met this wonderful child 5 weeks ago (exactly 5 weeks :) ), and my eyes haf seen shege shege.. I mean if she likes me why cant we just agree for us to be togera.. but she be using me to catch trips.. **crying in French... infact ataya o! Well i aint quitting..

    Truly at the end of this life yeah, when i am about to go... I just pray that when i look back yeah, i would have spent my life drawing smiles on faces, made Barr. and Dr. Duru and our ghen ghen family proud. and would have spent my life with an amazing lady.. leaving me with pictures of 2 sets of twins (2 boys and 2 gehs) and 1 last female child.. I hope i LIVE this life fully before i LEAVE... Oshey Sophie.. This was a fun read.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved taking care of people, but this is so beautiful and this kind are jobs are always the best kinds. And you see this Age is not just a number, it's a badge of all my life experiences,". Is why I love listening to old people. Btw you are fine sha *runs away* am sure they all loved ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes dear.. it sure feels good to care and show kindness especially to those who need it most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww dear thank you and thank God..I can only imagine how it is at the hospital..I wrked at a hospital for a few months and I definitely understand what you mean..but trust me when I say there's nothing as beautiful and fufiling as giving care and service..keep on strong hun. God will surely take care of you in return. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs