A BABBLE WITH OLA AND THE MOBO AWARDS!!!

Friday 30 October 2015

Hey guys,

Its the 15 for 15 challenge again and for this month, we have my very own Olaedo, a beautiful and talented gospel singer in the house today. I must render my sincere apologies as this is quite a very late post. She was nominated as the best gospel act/singer for the MOBO awards 2015 and this interview was conducted a few weeks back while the voting was still on.


Voting has now come to an end, and the winner has also been announced as Faith child. Nonetheless, I thought it'll still be nice to share the little babble we had concerning Ola's musical career and how she felt about being nominated for the MOBO awards. So, I hope you enjoy.

Welcome on board miss Olaedo, Is there a story behind that name Olaedo?

Lol Yes, My parents experienced difficulty in having a child. When I was born, my father was very happy. He asked God what name to call me and God gave him Olaedo meaning Gold in the igbo language.

What first got you interested in becoming a singer?

I've always loved music but the desire to become a singer came from secretly worshiping God in my room as a child. God then would inspire me to write plays, scripts, stories and poetry. However I only write songs now.

What/who inspires your music?

God, Jesus, the Holyspirit, Life living in lagos, abuja & london. Also different season in my life, Gods unbelievable kindness & mercy towards me. I love love love the Clark Sisters, Jill Scott, Deniece Williams, Motown and Psalms.

Do you see being a singer as a career, or as a hobby?

Definitely as a career, more like a ministry! I'm just going to combine it with public health which is helping people to prevent illness & promoting health all by God’s grace.

How did you get involved in ministry?

My parents are Pastors, they had a church & I was in different ministries including the choir as a child.

You were recently nominated for the mobo awards....how do you feel about that?

I felt honoured & I wasn’t really expecting it to be honest. So I cried tears of joy.

What was the inspiration behind your first album 'shine like gold'?

In all honesty, well I had a dream of a man who had light emanating from him (I felt he was Jesus).....he showed me his wife who was a harlot in the womens rest room/toilet. All the other women were admiring her (the other women were shorter in size) but no one knew she was a harlot. She (the harlot) was wearing a black and green dress and the other ladies were wearing black jumpsuits they admired her and secretly envied her. She was staring in the mirror she did not see her wrongs. The man (I felt he was Jesus) was so grieved although he stared at her with a very deep love. We did not speak a word......however we communicated with our hearts. He explained to me that his wife/harlot is the present day church. The mirror was the bible (Even though his wife/the harlot was standing in front of the mirror she never saw her wrongs). The restroom/toilet was the world. The other ladies were other religions who envied her (the harlot) secretly and the green and black on her dress meant growing in darkness. The other ladies were wearing black which represented darkness. So I woke up & was unhappy with everything. I started to pray and asked God to help the body of Christ to Shine Like Gold....it turned into a song; some of the lyrics are “Refine us in your holiness, Define us in your righteousness, enhance us with unity and love, cleanse us with your pure clean blood because I want us to shine like Gold….So we can make your name known”. Also I know many people who have experienced church hurt, including myself this made me to pray even more.

Do you have any kind of management, publishing, PR team or distribution team, behind you? If so what are their responsibilities?

Yes and No lol Elegance management managed the creation of the ep shine like gold (music video and ep launch). It was a wonderful & incredible experience working with them….especially the producers Jason & Emmanuel AJ.  I'm an independent artist so I don’t have publishing, PR or distribution team at the moment. By God’s grace one day. Although my ep can be purchased on iTunes/Amazon/Google.

What are some accomplishments that you have achieved, and are most proud of?

Just being able to sing my songs that I wrote privately….. Publicly to glorify God that’s an accomplishment for me. I was shy when it came to singing my songs. So I praise God all the time and thank him  for my Parents , Fortuna Rodrigues, Singercise (Rachel Kerr) and so many friends  who have all supported me in one way or the other.

How has your musical journey been so far?

God has literally jumped many protocols for me. So I'm just humbled and grateful to him.  I just to pray to be in Gods will throughout this journey. I'm still living, learning & growing.

Why did you decide to go gospel?

Lol It’s just the natural & wise thing to do as a Christian living in the last days.

Thank you so much for coming on board Ola. It was indeed a great pleasure to have you share your story with us on sophsinspirations. And onn behalf of my fellow readers, we wish you the very best in your musical career and also, the MOBO awards. 

Please visit the link guys and cast your votes @ http://voting.mobo.com/categories/gospel-act. Voting ends on the 23rd of October 2015 so please hurry there now if you havnt casted a vote yet.

Until next time guys, do enjoy the rest of your week.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs