OVERCOMING FEARS!!!!

Thursday 11 September 2014

Hey Guys,

So I was having a brother-sister time with my big brother on Monday and we were laughing about some funny experiences we had while growing up. Times when we had to scale through neighbors fences trying to kidnap their little puppies and kittens, times when we were constantly reported to our parents for attempting to drive peoples cars or destroy peoples Phones and many more mischievous activities. We began sharing and comparing our different experiences on some "first times" of different activities so far in our lives.
I was telling him how I started trying out new things which I never really use to do. I never use to like trying out new tings ranging from hairstyles, to food, to fashion styles, to make-up brands, to perfumes, to hobbies, to occupational fields, to environments and many more. My brother on the other hand, told me how he never really use to be scared of trying out new things or getting involved with different things but had a major fear- The fear of public speaking.
My brother grew up incredibly shy, and was a bit of an introvert. However, as he grew older, he slowly became bold and a bit more social and was finally able to overcome his fear of public speaking. My brother shared his experience on the first time he ever really had to speak in public and how he was able to over come his fears.

The golden flash award.
The very first time I had to speak in public was in my second year where I had to give a presentation on initiating and strengthening service learning and community service initiatives at an event infront of about over fifty people. I was so scared but tried to hide my fears as I walked up to the mic. As I started speaking, my heart began to beat out of my chest, my throat became constricted, I felt like I was beginning to loose my breath and everyone could hear my heart beat through the mic. I completely blanked out on my speech and all of a sudden, developed a feeling of weakness, I felt like I was about to faint. I felt so weak that my legs began to shake and I just had to return to my seat feeling so embarrassed. I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. Thankfully, the audience was very understanding and my friends came around and cheered me up.
That day was quite an embarrassing one but a positive growth-imp-active one. After that, I knew I had to do something. I had to overcome that fear in other to step into my own power. So I got involved in many organizations including the Inter-Hall Council, Student Quality Advisory Committee, Habitat For Humanity, Student Out-reach and Development, Community Service and Volunteerism, International Mentors, International Student Voice and Student Ambassadors.

 International mentors.





Golden Eagle Battalion
Habitat For Humanity.





Being a part of the International student Voice and student ambassador especially has been a huge catalyst in helping me overcome my fears. The second time I had to give a speech, my mind was resisting it and I was tempted to start coming up with different excuses to NOT do it but I knew it was really important and I needed the chance to really overcome my fears.
On the day of my speech, I spent some time alone in my room with my eyes closed, visualizing myself on stage speaking with so much power and confidence. Instead of worrying about fainting or an awful scenario, I chose to focus on feeling confident and empowered. I mentally rehearsed my speech and the outcome I wanted. I accepted the experience of nervousness which was completely okay, then I took a deep breath and made my way down to the hall. There were about over a hundred people and I made my way to the stage with a smile as my name was called. When I looked out to the crowd, I remembered all I had practiced Though I was still very nervous and began trembling as I started speaking but instead of focusing on how I looked or what others thought of me, I chose to focus on what I could give to my audience. The more I spoke, the less nervous I became. I finished my speech successfully and went off the stage being greeted with hugs and smiles. I felt proud of my self that I overcame my fear of public speaking.

Association of international student organizations.


Student Ambassador doing one of the best presentations ever showing his kindness and honor  in such a great meeting.


It is such an amazing feeling to overcome a fear that has held you down for so long. Many people have different dreams of achieving or attaining greater heights but fear puts them down from achieving those dreams and this same fear plays a role in different aspects of our lives. When you overcome any fear, whether large or small, you move a step closer to freedom, and you start to see how powerful you really are when you no longer let fear control your life.

Here are 7 steps to overcoming fears by Dani Johnson.:
  • Don't doubt.
  • Be hundred percent committed.
  • Surround yourself with like minded individuals (People with vision and dreams).
  • Keep moving forward in an action mode.
  • Stay involved by plugging into tools that increase your skills and feed your belief system. 
  • Practice those skills daily and:
  •  Make the decision never to quit.
Enjoy the rest of your week!! and Please feel free to share any experiences or keys in overcoming fears.:-)




No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs