MEMORABLE MOMENTS OF NYSC!!!

Friday 12 September 2014

Hey Guys,

 So, My NYSC year is gradually coming to an end and a lot of people have been asking me about my experience. Truth is, I was never really excited about NYSC from the on set so I wasn't even looking forward to the experience at all. However, I was going through some old pictures with my friend Ezugo and stumbled upon some memorable moments of my camp days and thought to finally share some of the experiences I had. I hope you enjoy the little I have to share.

 Parade ground, Corpers We!!!
Before I received my call up letter, I was told that camp was a dung. However, I had the impression that Abuja camp and Lagos camp were probably going to be the Tushest. Lets see how Abuja camp turned out.

MY FIRST DAY AT CAMP

 When I arrived at camp, I saw a really long queue in front of the gate with some soldiers viciously searching peoples boxes like they were perilously seeking for gold. I then saw another group of soldiers on the other side of the road roaring 'Jump up! jump up! Otondo Jump!', two soldiers came and asked me to jump out of my car. I got confused instantly. It turned out it wasn't even a joke. I got out and was asked to carry my box on my head for what now!!...These guys literally lifted my box and placed it on my head. As if that wasn't enough, we were kept under the sun for hours all in the name of learning stale razz songs like If-y corper marry soldier you go born better..Nonsense!!..I was massively frustrated with the registration process but luckily for me, I was able to register after about four hours of waiting on the chaotic queue.
40 corp members including me were bundled into a battered looking room, with decayed looking bonk beds and a scabrous looking ceiling. Let me not even talk about the toilets and bathrooms. We had no sockets to charge our phones we had to go all the way to Mami market to charge our phones.

 First of all go down low.






Nothing compared to what the actual bathroom looks like.
shot putting, the only hope of refuge
You dont even want to go there.
THE CREW

I never really planned on staying the whole 3 weeks at camp, but I met some really amazing people who encouraged me to stay. I had these two friends who always came to my rescue each time a soldier tried to use me as a scape goat. I also had the coolest roommates ever!! unlike some babes forming glossy and climatic like they were from mars, my roommates were so down to earth. However we had some drama queens at the other half of the room who always got us into trouble.

Roommates outside camp
Corner mates in camp.
THE PARADE.

I hated waking up very early for the parade, I could kill for just 5 more minutes of sleep at camp. The most annoying part was the way the soldiers screeched like hungry lions every morning in the name of waking us up. I never liked wearing my cap because it just dint feel right staying on my head. The first time I attended the parade, I heard a soldier saying "why you go make big hair they suffer your small body" Excuse me!!your shoulders must be very powerful to hold that head up. My platoon had the freshest people ever, we tried to live a subtle life but we were always blotched out. In my case, my over sized khaki and boots extricated me. My platoon members wanted me to participate in the miss NYSC contest but I ended up doing the make up for some contestants and miss pretty face instead.
Taking pictures while being under punishment.

Preparing for the match past

Paparazzi Things. 
Parade ground
The band.

I believe I can fly.

I really don't know what was going on here.
CAMP FOOD.

The camp food was just unpalatable, especially the beans.. oh Gahd!! The very first day I ate camp food, (camp beans to be precise), I had an uneasy experience with my stomach and eventually ended up in the clinic. How can they do this to us knowing fully well that finding a decent toilet was totally impossible. Mami market became my liberator even though the only food I kept eating was indomie and egg.
Purging Beans
Mami market chilling.


CAMP ACTIVITIES

The drills were quite interesting, the talent show really made me forget all my worries for a moment. Some people displayed amazing beautiful talents while others pulled up some x-factor audition stunts. I can never forget this particular girl who murdered the famous Beyonce song 'listen' of course if  Beyonce was an amateur. Our cultural day was beautiful and our variety night was really interesting. The machos weren't even smiling at all. We heard some rumors about some imaginary musicians like wizkid and tiwa savage coming to perform at camp, these rumors were on till we left camp. Camp fire night was a battle on its own. Corp members were ready to quit parade if camp fire night was omitted.
Camp fire night.
The drills. Like a boss, lets do this.
At this point, I wanted to turn back.

Rope walk.

Rope slide.
Talent show, cultural dance.
Fayrouz stand, the main chilling joint.




LAST DAY OF CAMP

 On the last day of camp, we were issued our posting letters and I ended up living camp so black and burnt. I loved my place of primary assignment and I have some beautiful memories which I am going to post real soon.


Overall, NYSC was a crazy-fun experience, I made new friends, learned new skills, built my tolerance and adaptive abilities. I stayed the whole 3 weeks and even though it wasn't the best of times in my life, I was proud I was able to stay till the end.

Please feel free to share your NYSC exepriences. :-)

1 comment :

  1. This is Amah btw..Gurl you had the exact same experience as me..lmao. thank God for strenght to survive.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs