A MONTH WITHOUT COFFEE!!!

Saturday 10 January 2015

Hey guys,

What's the weekend been saying? Mine's been saying rest well cuz you just might have a busy week ahead. Work resumes on monday guys and I'm still struggling to switch modes (can you imagine) how sad can that get? I mean, I've managed to get my things together and ready but my mind seems to be taking its time in Utopia. Sigh! May God help me.

So one of the things I decided to do this year was to experiment on myself. Let's just say its my year of "living without" if that makes sense. A common belief would be that, there are certain things in life that we do or we have and we think we can't actually do without or live without doing. There are certain ways we act that we feel we're so used to, that we can't actually change them. But, I believe that the mind is most times, controlled by certain urges and desires which with conscious efforts, can be controlled or resisted.

As with all experiments, the aim of this, is to help learn more about myself, my urges and desires and to actually see if I can control or resist them. Hence, my 2015 monthly experiment. I have a list of things I would love to experiment on this year and I would be noting and sharing my observations, results and lessons learnt if any, by the end of each. So you might want to look out for those.

The first on my list of "A month without" would be Coffee!.


My love for coffee began with Cappuccino.

I was never a fan of coffee or beverages in general, even while I was in the cold England for 4 years. I had a thing against them for a while and I felt they were mostly for old people. But at some point during one of those serious winter periods, I was forced to make hot drinks my buddies and then, I went with hot chocolate. Hot chocolate was all I took for the better part of my stay in the UK until someday, I met up with a course mate Irine, at a local starbucks and she asked if I had ever had Cappuccino. I shook my head in the negative direction and her response was to purchase one for me regardless of my uninterested appearance. When I received the steamed milk espresso flavored drink, I was skeptical to say the least. It had coffee in it and to me, coffee was nasty no matter how you dressed it up (tho I liked the smell of it) but then, I took my first sip and realized I had made a grave mistake. The best part of it was the milky taste and the mustache of milk forth that adhered to my upper lip. This was not the nasty black drip drink I had seen most old people take. This was a sweet deliciousness lol. I decided to have it in place of hot chocolate each time I felt like having a hot drink and since then, I have loved it. Now let's go back to naij.

Working with Americans and now Germans, has made taking coffee (not just cappuccino), a major part of my morning routine. It is like my breakfast drink. Working at my place of work is like working at a coffee shop. Everyone takes it even the products we produce lol..I don't have to wake up to smell the coffee tbh, I smell it from the deepest part of my sleep. Its basically everywhere and it smells like freshly ground heaven to me. To make matters worse, a major part of my Job description is to serve highly esteemed clients tea or coffee of all types (as part of our customer service bants) which basically makes me in charge of the coffee maker and that means free and easy access to coffee and more coffee.  

Last year, I felt taking coffee was becoming quite habitual as I had not only been taking them in the mornings each time I got to work, but at night most times before I slept (Cappuccino or Latti in the mornings and Nescafe at night). So you see! I feel like I have become a total coffee freak. Its like an urge and I find it hard to resist especially when I get to work every morning and perceive that beans, which is why I've decided to go a month without it and see if It's doable for that long. I really do hope I can pull it through though cuz that coffee shop is where I would be stationed for the better part of the year. Wish me luck guys lol.

4 comments :

  1. haaa! the first coffee i ever had was cappuccino all thanks to my mum. Its still the only one i can actually take. all the best Sophie.. Its going to be a hard habit to break but keep at it and strong will would sure keep u going..

    slimthickdiva.blogspot.ca

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off... good luck X 20 on your cofee leave, you will need it.. So I am typing at the speed of light yeah, so pardon my Typos( well i came back to re-read sha, i cant fit fall my hand nah).. I like the way you can make us to laugh shaaaa with your wise jokes. Its endearing biko.. inshort I wanna be like thee when I grow up. Where i survive yeah.. 2 things are free (Okay WERE free, till everybody started quitting on 1).. Cigarrettes and Coffee.. I actually stopped sipping from my hot mug after realizing that this was an Anti-cofee post **Wears sad face, but oh well Nescafe and 3 cubes of sugar have become like a fix for me.. and in www.theaternotes-naija.blogspot.com voice (when he jokes).. I go: gimme more,, I want some.. Gimme a fix goddamnit.. hehehe You need to meet him.. he is madantin Bubba.

    Its always fun reading from you, inshort I pray my neighbors' cousins daughters sisters Aunties female twin child will be like you when she grows up... **wears cheeky smile. Cheers Bubba, and do have a turnt up week. xx Ooosssssshhhheeey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Duru you know I love reading from you too..reading your posts on a bad day makes it way brighter and better..your words of wisdom and your sense of humour *amazing* :D

      Delete
  3. Cappuccino!!!!! so good

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs