A CLOSER LOOK!!!

Friday 16 January 2015

One of my favorite things to do is STARE, not just at cute little kids, but at the lady in the mirror.


I love mirrors, not because I'm vain but because they are just really nice to look at lol Its one of the major things you can never miss going through my handbag and if by mistake you do, be sure to use the inner side of my wallet.

Okay so each time I'm done prepn and dressing up for work, I love to step back and evaluate myself, my outfit, my hair and makeup.



When that is done, I don't usually see any warts or pitfalls. I see an immaculate, Impeccable, flawless figure. Now when I move closer or take a closer look, I begin to see different things. I see blemishes, defects, spots, stains, specks, vices, pimples, bumps errant wiry hairs, eye bags and all sorts. The closer I get, the more detailed they become. Its just like staring at a magnified view of your face with a magnifying mirror, and then noticing all the crevasse-like wrinkles, Mt Vesuvius zits and acne within your semblance (which you normally wouldn't see using a normal mirror), then you begin to think "Time to wear sunscreen daily and cut down on the potato chips. Oh, and put better tweezers on the shopping list.."

With respect to life, we don't really see some over arching failures or anything close when we objectively step back and look at our lives from a distance because they appear beautiful from afar and we hate to see all the flops and flaws of it. We feel that people don't look at us with magnifying mirrors/glasses and so, we shouldn't look at our selves with those. But one thing I've realized is that; though it's great to always look at the beautiful and bigger picture, but regular, close, short looks into life are healthy, desirable even. A lot of times, we get so carried away with living send-less-ly, that we forget to do some self reflections once in a while. We neglect those short looks into life forgetting that It is in those moments that we see what is working and what isn't. It is also In those glances that we see the diversionary tactics that keep us from growing mentally, spiritually, emotionally, writing bigger projects, taking on greater tasks, fulfilling our purposes and achieving our dreams. I have noticed that those short looks into life help me reorder priorities if needed and remind me of what is important and what isn’t. The longer looks however, take my breath away and can reduce me to consternation and tears.

So, attention to detail is good, but obsession about detail is not. Its okay to stare at your flaws, pitfalls, warts and spots once in a while but staring at them for too long isn't healthy. With a bit of attention, I can notice my mistakes in my life, my career part/choice, my relationships, and can reflect on what part of my struggles I could focus more on dealing with. But with too long of a look, it leads to different harmful emotions like depression, comparison, insecurity, low self esteem and all sorts. It can basically shift from constructive self-criticism to scathing self-loathing in a few blinks and that isn't healthy at all.

So guys, as much as we all love to see the beautiful picture, let's not forget the ugly ones or neglect our flaws and imperfections cuz it is in embracing those flaws and imperfections that they become our super powers. But at the same time, let's not dwell too much on them.

Have a wonderful weekend :)


5 comments :

  1. You look nice wow!


    Everydaytibs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really beautiful though! Nice post and nice blog. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. True say soph. Nice one. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOosssshhhheeeeyy... Turn down for what biko! Sophie is turning up jo.. :) heheheh I likey.. First off, you are looking like takeaway material in the pictures above.. In short you look like a million bucks and some change on top sef, and if not that I am a woman wrapper by default, I would have said... iTrip :) True that bubba, in this my 23 years 2 months 8 days of existence, life has taught me not to focus on the negatives.. I mean we all have negatives, and ignoring them is living in self deception, but i am learning to annalyze them, change that which i can, ignore those which i cant change, outgrow the remaining, and then accept the left over. Also bubba, often times yeah, we focus so much on the pros and positives of our lives that we begin to see ourselves as invincible, often times yeah, we bask in the euphoria of the now and forget to remember that we have flaws, we subconciously begin living in the clouds... At those times, i think we need to pinch ourselves to reality cause its wrong to live in the clouds as that's where mad and confused people live.. Bubba, i am learning to accept both my perfection (what i see when i stand far away from the mirror) and my imperfections ( what i see when i use a magnifying glass) because all in all "Sophie toh sure", it is a combination of these 2 that make me the man i will become. Cheers Bubba, and do have a ghen ghen week ahead. P.S: We are still waiting for your introductory post on the challenge Bubba, pretty please, do it soon **Wears puppy face. **Shines teeth... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Attention to details is good but not obsession with details". Hmmmm...hmmmm...hmmmmm...I can't help doing that over and over again. Word! Lovely post and very lovely pictures too.

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs